Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:12:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        Jason Porter <leporter@xmission.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: acpi in kernel?

On 2002-08-14, Jason Porter scribbled:

# I had asked a friend about my comp not powering down after I run
# shutdown (like Windoze does).  He asked if I had acpi in my kernel.  I
# told him I didn't think so and he said that would do it.  I looked in my
# kernel and sure enough it wasn't there, so I decided to check LINT to
# see if it was just an option or whatever.  LINT doesn't have any mention
# of it whatsoever.  I'm running STABLE.  If it's possible to do this
# (which I'm sure it is) that'd be great if not I can live without it.  I
# have an ATX case and motherboard (who doesn't nowadays), so it should be
# able to turn itslef off.  Thanks list.

You can compile the kernel with the apm driver (make sure that you
remove the "disable" parameter that is on the same line as the apm
config line) and enable it in /etc/rc.conf by adding:

apm_enable="YES"

At that point, you can issue the:

shutdown -p now

command to do a graceful shutdown and power off. At least that's the
case on my laptop and my BSD machine at work :)

--

Linh Pham                                         lplist@closedsrc.org
Webmaster and FreeBSD Geek                        http://closedsrc.org