Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 2002 20:33:31 -0700
From:      "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
To:        "Crispin Bennett" <crispin@crisweb.webcentral.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Login not accepting any input from keyboard

On 3 Sep 2002, at 21:23, Crispin Bennett wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A terrible problem! I've been running FreeBSD 4.6.2 release on my laptop
> for the past couple of weeks. Suddenly I'm hit with a problem that I'm
> hoping isn't going to prove terminal to my FreeBSD experiment: the gdm
> login accepts no input from the keyboard. I can't kill X
> (ctrl-alt-bkspace) because that doesn't work either. The machine clearly
> isn't frozen, as mouse input works -- I can get the gdm menus, from
> which I can reboot the machine etc. Also, oddly, I can reboot with
> ctrl-alt-delete.

I had a similar problem recently, and it too appeared with no
apparent cause.

The solution (and the reason) I discovered was that gdm was being
started twice- once as a shell script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d and once
from etc/ttys.

I'd recommend trying the following: Boot into single-user mode, mount
your various volumes and make sure that if there's a script to start
gdm in /usr/local/etc/rc.d that you chmod 644 it. The edit /etc/ttys
and be sure that ttyv8 reads as follows:

ttyv8	"/usr/X11R6/bin/gdm -nodaemon"	xterm	on	secure

I make no promises that this will work; however, it did work for me.

Good luck-

Corey