Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 1997 17:23:39 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kwoody <kwoody@citytel.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernal...

On Fri, Oct 24, 1997 at 10:50:12PM -0700, Kwoody wrote:

> Ok, I'm ready (I think) to build a kernal. Now in case Ive screwed things
> up and before I build and install a custom one...
>
> kernal.GENERIC is a backup kernal? and kernal is the one that gets booted?

Well, you'll have more success with 'kernel.GENERIC' and 'kernel'.

> So if something goes foobar, when I'm at a BOOT: prompt I can type:
>
> boot: wd1(0,a)/kernal.GENERIC
>
> and this would boot me a good kernal to recover from?

You should be able to just do:

 Boot: kernel.GENERIC

> Or should I just use chflags noschg and move my /kernal to a safe place?

There's nothing to stop you from keeping additional kernel copies.
Sometimes it makes a lot of sense.  I'd recommend keeping
/kernel.GENERIC as it is.  I also usually have a /kernel.lastweek, for
example, so that if my weekly build fails, I have something recent to
fall back to.

Greg