Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 03:59:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Any users of matcd(4), mcd(4), or scd(4)?

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, John Baldwin wrote:

:Are there any users who use the matcd(4), mcd(4) or scd(4) drivers?
:These drivers are for rather old non-standard CD-ROM controllers
:most of which only support 1x speeds. :)  There are several changes
:being made to the kernel API's used by device drivers in -current.
:Unless we can find some people who actually use these devices and
:can test patches for these drivers we will have to drop support for
:them.  So, is anyone out there still using this old hardware?  Note
:that if support for these ancient devices was dropped, it wouldn't
:be dropped until 5.0.  4.x. would continue to support these devices
:forever.

I have an old ISA SB16 with the matcd interface on it and the 2x Creative
(Matsushita/Panasonic) CD-ROM drive that goes with it.  I'd be more than
happy to ship these off to the project if the project wants them.  Last
time I bothered to plug them into a machine and check them, they were
still functional.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"