Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 22:16:46 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
To:        Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
Cc:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: urgent help with jdk1.1.8 badly needed

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Guy Helmer wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Ariel Burbaickij wrote:
>
> > Have coursework to be done .Deadline is already set.
> > System run is fbsd3.2.
> > JDK used 1.1.8
> > PATH is set propelry
> > Tried to run javac got large amount of errors of following kind:
> > "Package java.util not found in import"
> > "Package java.io   not found in import"
> > What is wrong ?How could the malfunctioning be mend?
>
> The errors seem to indicate that the java runtime was not able to find the
> classes archive file (which I believe is located at
> /usr/local/jdk1.1.8/lib/classes.zip on my system).  Normally, the java
> startup script (/usr/local/jdk1.1.8/bin/.java_wrapper) appends the path to
> this file to the CLASSPATH environment variable.
>
> What does "echo $CLASSPATH" report?  What does "which java" report?
  CLASSPATH is not set so far.Used javac -classpath ./(for current
  directory) filename.java
  the whole project resides in one for it dedicated directory).
  IF i have understood something wrong with CLASSPATH what is the
  recommended value it should be set to?
  which java gives as expected /usr/local/jdk1.1.8/java
  kind regards,
  Ariel