Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:25:12 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-vuxml@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/security/portaudit-db/database portaudit.txt portaudit.xlist portaudit.xml

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 02:05:21PM -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:58:47 -0500
> "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > [Moving to freebsd-vuxml ... oh how I wish Bcc worked so that people on
> >  the other list knew where this went :-) ]
>
> NOTE:  I am not subscribed to this list yet!  I'm working on that
> right now!
>

> > On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 07:46:16PM +0200, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
> > > When you can live with the dummy text produced by my perl script
> > > ("Please contact the FreeBSD Security Team for more information.") and
> > > we can make the `discovered' entry optional, fine with me. I can write
> > > a `make entry' perl script that parses a form an generates a template
> > > entry, send-pr like.
> >
> > FWIW, this sounds fine by me, except about the <discovered> part.
> > I see your point about it though... it may be dangerous to have a
> > bogus value (like the date of entry), because it may not get corrected
> > later.  But I don't want it optional, so that it is not forgotten.
> > Perhaps we need the possiblity of marking something explicitly
> > <unspecified> for such occassions ...
> >
> > In the mean time, could the date of entry be used?  And perhaps a
> > comment could be a workaround for now, something like
> >
> >    <discovered>2004-08-17</discovered> <!-- XXX please correct --->
> >
> > Ugly, I know, but the current format wasn't made for
> > works-in-progress.  Maybe we can make some options for that...
>
> How about N/A or "Unknown"?  That shows that it needs corrected
> and that there is no problem.

Thank you, I'm braindead lately.  We don't need another element or
anything, we can just use a fixed string instead of a date string.  I
prefer

   <discovered>unspecified</discovered>

but the others (in lower case) might be OK, also.  But let's just pick
one.

I'll have to check if this breaks anything existing, but I feel it will
be easy to accomodate.

> > By way of example, I've been using FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p1 == 4.7_1.  I'm
> > not entirely satisfied and I am open to suggestions.  This part has been
> > ill-specified. :-(
>
> Why not ident(1) on the specific files?  A quick sh script could
> do this using variables parsed from VuXML entries.

Aaaaaahh!
/me runs away

Cheers,
--