Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 09:00:57 -0700
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Doug Silver <dsilver@urchin.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.6RC Sendmail clientmqueue problem

dsilver> I just upgraded one of my servers to 4.6RC and now sendmail
dsilver> (localhost/outbound email only) appears somewhat broken.  These
dsilver> messages keep coming through:

dsilver> sendmail[2197]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): can not chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/): Permission denied

dsilver> Looking through the recent archives/etc I've seen lots of messages
dsilver> about this, but everything appears to be setup properly:

dsilver> -r-xr-sr-x  1 root  smmsp  581956 Jun  2 18:50 /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail*
dsilver> drwxrwx---   2 smmsp  smmsp   512 Jun  2 18:27 /var/spool/clientmqueue/

Your setup looks correct.  There are a couple of possibilities:

1. /usr is mounted nosuid.
2. /, /var, or /var/spool are not mode 0755.
3. You are running sendmail from the command line with an option that
   causes it to drop privs.
4. You have also set RunAsUser in your submit.cf.

dsilver> The only change I made to the submit.cf file was to enable the
dsilver> 'trusted-users' file, which I may or may not need (does the web
dsilver> server "www" need to be in there?).

Only if the www user is sending mail using the -f option to change the
sender address.