Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 08:48:29 -0500
From:      Matthew Cashdollar <mattc@rfcnet.com>
To:        "Ian O'Friel" <Genius@glasgow.crosswinds.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP

On Mon, Jan 01, 1996 at 02:51:13PM -0000, Ian O'Friel wrote:
> Hey can anyone help....
>
> I am trying to set up a Dial-Up Connection to my ISP using FreeBSD 2.2.5, I have found that ppp is needed but when I try editing the ppp.conf after copying it from ppp.conf.sample I cannot connect, it only works if I give the command
>
> set line /dev/cuaa0
>
> If I try
>
> set line /dev/cuaa1 (2 or 3)
>
> It still wont work, when it tries to dial when set for cuaa0 it tells me the modem isn't configured and can't open modem ??
>
> Can anyone tell me how to configure my modem and how to set up a Dial-Up connection, my ISP won't tell me as the prefer not to have UNIX-like connections but the still permit it....

You need to find out what port your modem is on:

 dos port     freebsd device
 com1         /dev/cuaa0
 com2         /dev/cuaa1
 com3         /dev/cuaa2
 com4         /dev/cuaa3

Once you figure that out you need to put the appropriate device in your
kernel..

 kernel       freebsd device
 sio0         /dev/cuaa0
 sio1         /dev/cuaa1