Date:      Sun, 03 Nov 1996 18:24:20 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   OK, what's the deal with 2940W controllers and internal connectors?

I just recently had a WIDE drive fall into my lap, so I finally
started putting that WIDE connector on my 2940UW controller to good
use.  While reading the Adaptec controller docs before jumping in, I
saw that it very specifically said to use only ONE of the internal
connectors, either the WIDE or the narrow, but not both.  You could
still use the external connector for either kind of drive, but not
hook both internal connectors up at once.  Well, this made sense to me
since it seemed like otherwise you'd have a "Y" configuration in your
SCSI bus, and it wasn't clear which devices you'd terminate if you
plugged both internal connectors in - each end of the Y, or what?  So
I hooked all my narrow devices to a 1542 controller I had lying around
and life was good again, once I remembered to put BOUNCE_BUFFERS back
in for it (feh).

Then I was talking to Poul-Henning last night who pooh-pooh'd my
foolish conservatism and stated that I could have used both internal
connectors on my 2940UW no problem.  Since I could use that 1542 as my
spare again (which is why I have it), I'd sort of like to know which
one of us is correct? :-)

						Jordan