Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2019 09:08:31 -0600
From:      Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
To:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>,  FreeBSD <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bhyve zfs resizing

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 9:05 AM tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Apart from the performance benefit as per the section for bhyve in the
> handbook, can the size of the zfs-backed guest:
>
> 1. be resized from the host?
> 2. does the guest need to be inactive?
> 3. can linux guests (or even windows ones) be resized as well?
>
> thanks,
> --
> J.

Do you mean using a zvol as the backing store for a VM?  If so, then:
1) Yes.  You can just do "zfs set volsize" on the host.
2) In theory no, but the guest may need to be rebooted to notice the
change.  And I'm not sure if the current bhyve code will expose the
new size without a reboot or not.
3) Sure.  But after you expand the zvol (or before you shrink it),
you'll have to change the size of the guest's filesystem using the
guest's native tools.

-Alan