Date:      Wed, 08 Oct 2003 13:29:57 -0700
From:      Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>
To:        Oliver Wilson <owilson@cam.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Broken /usr/lib on FreeBSD 4.7

> I inadvertently broke the /usr/lib on my FreeBSD 4.7 box. Here's how
> this happened.

<snip></snip>

> How can I fix this?
>
> Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated

Yikes! I feel your pain.

I have never done this, but it may be possible to grab all
of the files from :

   ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.7-RELEASE/bin

and restore your /usr/lib from there.  If you examine the install.sh file
at the above URL you will see that the bin.* files are are a split(1)'d
tar file.  You should be able to extract what you need from them.

If this does succeed I would recommend cvsup'ing to your release of choice
(RELENG_4_{7,8}) and rebuilding the world.

I wish you the best of luck.

 - Mike

P.S.  Please dont hold me responsible if the above doesn't work.  It was
my first thought and I have never tried this before.