Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:48:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG, cgd@netbsd.org, ross@netbsd.org, core@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Copyright infringement in FreeBSD/alpha

Jason Thorpe said:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:37:09 -0500 (EST)
>  "John S. Dyson" <dyson@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>  > *smirk* I would appreciate credit for my shared VM space work in
>  > NetBSD also.  Of course, the similarities in the code could be
>  > co-incedental, but it seems very unlikely.
>
> This is a MUCH more serious issue than "due credit in a commit message".
> I seem to recall noting that the vmspace sharing code was somewhat based on
> FreeBSD's (although it is a little different, and the data structure were
> more-or-less ready for it, and the implementation _is_ obvious) when I
> committed it to the NetBSD source tree...  but _I DID NOT INFRINGE ON
> ANYONE'S COPYRIGHT_... that is the issue.
>
> John: So nice of you to reply in your typical "we love everyone" warm-fuzzy
> manner, rather than addressing the SERIOUS ISSUE of a FreeBSD developer
> REMOVING copyright notices from code, copied _verbatim_ (right down to
> the comments), REPLACING IT WITH HIS OWN.

Again, it is an issue of an error (which Doug is trying to correct right
away, as soon as being notified), vs. an attitude which you are
showing clearly that you care little about giving credit other
than on purely legal necessity.

*sigh* so much for being kind and helpful to your co-developers
of your software. :-(.  This lack of kindness and respect for people
and their inventiveness is why we need to play games dealing with
legal issues.

I guess we need the law to protect us from mistakes, and people who
have no respect for others inventiveness.  We need the law to protect
both from mistakes (like the recent commits), and intentions.