Date:      Sat, 18 May 1996 15:26:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Chad Shackley <zoogy@cris.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Screwed / partition

On Fri, 17 May 1996, Chad Shackley wrote:

> RE my last note about FreeBSD not starting, the sysinstall program just
> automatically runs upon startup and the system reboots again after exiting
> sysinstall:
>
> Since I can get to all the partitions using a fixit floppy, I backed up
> everything I need from the / partition.  Is there a safe way to "redo" the /
> partition, just start it and only it from scratch, and hopefully to
> reinstall the proper startup procedure with it?  I'd like to keep my /usr
> and /var partitions, they seem to be normal.

	Just do a tarball of /etc, /var and /usr and then reinstall from
scratch but /var doesn't really need a 4 gig partition since most of the
space should be on the /usr partition...  you might want to symlink
/var/mail to somewhere in the /usr partition and move all the incoming
mail there first.

Cheers,
-Vince- richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU - vince@COSC.GOV - vince@cygnus.sy.yale.edu