Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 2003 14:19:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Environment-related exec or gmake bug on sparc64

In article <20030418210744.GC33257@locore.ca>,
Jake Burkholder  <jake@locore.ca> wrote:
> I get the same error on all my machines.  I re-installed one of my crash
> boxes from scratch and built the latest versions of the ports that ezm3
> depends on, but no luck.

It's damned nice of you to work on this.  Thanks!

> It looks like the Makefile in FBSD_SPARC64/gcc gets sucked in when
> building FBSD_SPARC64/gcc/intl due to being a subdir, which is where
> it could be getting STAGE_PREFIX from.

That's what I think, too.  But I think (not sure) that a fresh gmake
image is forked & execed for each subdir.  In that case there
shouldn't be any pollution from the parent process.

> I got ezm3 it to build with this patch, and the resulting cvsup
> binary seems to work fine, but it may just be due to removing stuff
> from the environment as you describe.

I think it probably is due to that.  Building ezm3 by hand (typing
"gmake" in $WRKSRC) works OK, and about the only possible difference
is in the environment.  But, hey, I'm not proud! :-) I'll commit your
patch for now.  At least it solves the problem.

John
--
  John Polstra