Date:      Tue, 07 Apr 2020 11:40:18 +0200
From:      Evilham <contact@evilham.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question (fwd)

Hey,

On dt., abr. 07 2020, Viktor Madarasz wrote:

> viktormadarasz@sdf.org
> SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org

Helping out with ports doesn't *usually* require programming per
se.
My approach to help out with limited time has been to help fix
things I see that need fixing.

Here is something I wrote about updating ports (with tons of links
to things I wish I had known :-))
https://evilham.com/en/blog/2020-FreeBSD-updating-a-port-twisted-python/

Creating ports is similarly not much of a programming effort, so
if you see something that is missing and would be desirable, you
can look into it.
If you can identify a similar piece of software (as in: same
programming language, similar architecture, ...), you might be
able to extrapolate from that other port to create your own;
otherwise the porter's handbook is a good resource and generally
just asking on #freebsd-ports might point you in the right
direction.

Documentation is indeed also a great way, just can't speak for
that as much yet.

> Another thing... There is No BSD User Group in the country where
> I live-reside
> (Spain) How could I create One? I guess its a good opportunity
> to do so as
> there is 0 here as I saw on the Website. As I speak / write
> English, Spanish ,
> Hungarian I guess I could tie in to other BSD Groups with those
> languages as
> well...
>
> Anyone can point me to the good direction regarding these
> things?

Actually, I've been looking into starting something like this;
though in my case more wider-Barcelona centric, to have physical
meetings be easier for the post-COVID world.
Probably those meetings would be kind of tri-lingual (a bit like
PyBCN), to facilitate participation of local computer-people who
might not be as well-versed in English.
Depending on where you live in Spain, bilingual might suffice,
just make sure not to exclude people on a language basis.

For that, I registered some days ago freebsd.cat, haven't managed
to do anything with it just yet.
I also noticed freebsd.es exists, but it appears to be an
abandoned effort; you might be able to get in touch with them and
maybe do a friendly, mutually agreed, domain take over and revive
it :-) (that would be pretty cool).

As for how to do these things... It's tricky because it's
something social and it's a bunch of *constant, reliable* work.
During the past, say 15-20 episodes of https://bsdnow.tv, there
have been quite a few mentions about how to start such an effort.
(You'd have to look into e.g. the RSS feed and find those, but if
you haven't yet, it's a good podcast worth listening regardless of
these particular bits)

At the very least it sounds like announcing you'll do such a thing
here, probably on Twitter *and* fediverse, and shooting an email
with enough head time to the BSD Now people is a decent way to
start.

Cheers,
--
Evilham