Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 14:03:11 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        "Henk Wevers" <wevers@cg.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange problems with multiple jail's

Hi Henk,

This sounds strange, and my initial reaction is that it sounds a
bit like some kind of limit being reached, number of processes,
filehandles or something.

The fact that it hits a new "random" service each boot is what
makes me think so.

I'm aware of at least one machine with 100+ jails, so I don't think
we have a magic number limit in the jail code as such.

My best suggestion is that you examine the startup messages for
each jail in turn, and try to spot any error messages which might
offer a clue to why some services fails.  In particular, try to
locate the messages pertaining to the service which failed...

My second best suggestion to you is to try to start the jails
sequentially at boot, maybe even put a "sleep 30" between them, to
make sure that one is finished before the next one starts.  It
could be that during bootup you get far too many processes running
at the same time or something...

That's the best I can offer you right now,

Poul-Henning