Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2014 21:54:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Velcro Leaf <velcroleaf@rocketmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   consistent, functional 1TB usb drive?

I'm trying to get off tape drives and move to USB drives for backups, howev=
er circumstances are making this impossible.=0A=0ADoes anyone have a sugges=
tion for a known 1TB external USB drive, powered =0Athrough the USB cable, =
that consistently works with FreeBSD, and has for some time?=0A=0AI've gone=
 through half a dozen models of such drives and each time I find one that w=
orks properly on each of our servers, I try to buy a few more to make a com=
plete cycle.=A0 Invariably, however, I can no longer purchase the same mode=
l, or I can get the same model, but it is invisibly different at purchase-t=
ime (eg, with new firmware that doesn't work with FreeBSD).=0A=0A=0AI've tr=
ied to work through the quirks process with you guys, but it hasn't been su=
ccessful, and eventually I suppose it's not considered enough of a problem =
to fix, probably because in a few weeks there will be a brand new version t=
hat doesn't work, in a different way.=0A=0AI know that these drives are all=
 tested with Windows before shipping, and that's why they work with Windows=
, but is there any plan, on either the hardware or FreeBSD side of things t=
o deal with this issue?=A0 I've been working on and off on the problem for =
about a year, and if anything, things are getting worse.=0A=0A-Leif=0A