Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 22:00:41 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAM timings for Triton chipsets?

>Just a quick question for anyone familiar with the jargon that Award
>use in their older Triton BIOSsen.
[...]
>I thought I'd try changing a couple of the memory timing options from
>"x2222" to "x4444", there being no explanation of what these mean.
>And lo and behold, the system _seems_ much faster.  It could just be that
>it's just been rebooted after being up for months, but at the same time
>I'm wondering if the changes could be significant.

It must be, because you just made it much slower... :-)

x2222 and x4444 mean how many cycles it takes to access memory for
each cycle of a burst read or write.  The x means that the first
access is longer (typically something like 6 cycles).  After the first
access, it can burst at a word for every 2 bus cycles (or as the case
is now, for ever 4 bus cycles).

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net