Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 13:45:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   generalized mechanism for duplexing NICs ?

Hello,

Is there a generalized mechanism in FreeBSD for duplexing two NICs ?

That is, if I have two 10BaseT ethernet cards in one machine, and two in
another machine, is it easy for me to connect the two NICs in one to the
two NICs in the other and get 20Mb/s ?

And then turn around and do it with some other cards, possibly 100BaseT or
802.11b cards or whatever ?

Or is the ability to do this selective based on which card and which
driver you are using, and does it even exist for most ?

I am hoping that there is some lower level mechanism that allows duplexed
connections between any old NIC that has a working driver, and that it
doesn't depend on the driver itself ...

(note - I am not interested or referring to MLPPP .. bonded PPP ... or
maybe I am ?  I think it is totally unrelated, but maybe that is the
general mechanism that you bind together NICs?  I suspect not)

thanks,

PT