Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:48:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@culverk.student.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nmap

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Kenneth Culver wrote:

> I was just wondering, it seems that (at least nmap thinks so) that
> freebsd's security is not as good as linux. here is an nmap output from a
> linux box on the local LAN (using nmap -sF -O hostname):

Based on the number of ports located, I would give the opposite analysis.

If you're using this metric:

> TCP Sequence Prediction: Class=random positive increments
>                          Difficulty=1865858 (Good luck!)

Versus:

> TCP Sequence Prediction: Class=random positive increments
>                          Difficulty=31411 (Worthy challenge)

It's entirely bogus.  Differences in the random numbers generated affect
the difficulty greatly.  The algorithm used is more interesting. Try
running this against an OpenBSD box.

> Remote operating system guess: Linux 2.1.122 - 2.2.12

These strings are hardcoded into the app, so no wonder it doesn't
differentiate between 3.X and 4.X boxen; they should come up with the same
identity anyway.

Lesson: Don't depend on the output of one simple app for an entire
security analysis.  It's only one tool.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org