Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:55:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "William O. Yates" <hackware@tru2life.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vi secure

On 20/Apr/2008 13:32 Ben Kaduk wrote ..
> On 4/20/08, William O. Yates <hackware@tru2life.net> wrote:
> > Recently started using vi macros.
> >
> >  When attempting to use one which accessed the external shell, got the following
> message:
> >
> >  "The ! command is not supported when the secure edit option is set."
> >

> Are you running vi as root?  I believe that will automatically set secure mode.
>
> -Ben Kaduk

Yes, running as root (toor actually)...

ns1:/usr/local/interchange/catalogs/store> uname -a
FreeBSD ns1.tru2life.net 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 12 10:40:27 UTC 2007     root@dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
ns1:/usr/local/interchange/catalogs/store>

..william.o.yates...hackware.at.tru2life.net...tru2life.info...