Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:56:02 -0400
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com>
Cc:        Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>, Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>, hubs@FreeBSD.org, re@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.7 Download Statistics

>>>>> "Murray" == Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com> writes:

Murray> On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 05:52:47PM +0200, Daniel Lang wrote:
>> I think it will be difficult to get real numbers, but maybe its
>> possible to get an idea or a trend.

Murray> 1. Number of bytes transferred from ${dir} directory.
Murray> 2. Number of files transferred from ${dir} directory.

Murray> where ${dir} is /pub/FreeBSD,
Murray> /pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.7-RELEASE, the ISO images dirs,
Murray> etc..

>> The question remains, whole ISO files? Just the install-iso?  How
>> about repeated downloads?

Murray> Are repeated downloads substantial?  I assumed they would be
Murray> insignificant.

It's a difficult problem for many distributions.  We run a
centrallized cvsup server for our organization (and anyone who uses
our ISP) and the majority of our 200-ish deployed machines update via
CVSUP.  We keep our own install master that is largely disk-duplicated
into new machines for install ... and the remaining installs come from
a single download of the ISO that I do each release.

I also offer free ISOs to anyone locally who expresses an interest in
FreeBSD.  I typically distribute 5 to 10 copies per release.

... It may help get a handle on numbers if people were encouraged to
submit the number of FreeBSD hosts they run in their organization.  I
know that take-up on a proposal like this isn't 100%, but then the ftp
stats aren't an accurate representation, either.

However, if you also asked for a 'number of downloads' type number,
you could compare the installations to the ftp to come up with a
slightly better estimate.

Dave.