Date:      29 May 2003 10:27:22 -0400
From:      Dan Pelleg <daniel+bsd@pelleg.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compaq deskpro won't reboot

Trying to make use of an old system - Compaq deskpro EN 350Mhz, I ran into
the following problem: If you issue a reboot(8) the machine shuts down, but
it never comes back. You have to hit the power button off and then back
on. Otherwise the machine just sits there, screen blank. The system does
shut down cleanly.

A web search brings up similar reports for the EP series on NetBSD and
Linux. So I'm aware this is probably a BIOS bug. But I'd still like some
workaround. I already tried playing with the BIOS settings (one person
reports that changing the disk mode to PIO solved it for him - no luck
here). Also toggled the DIP switch to make the machine come back up from a
power failure w/o waiting for the user to powercycle. Nothing seems to
work. Any suggestions?

--

  Dan Pelleg