Date:      Sun, 02 Jul 2000 20:23:38 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        "Michael G." <mikegoe@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Today's CVSUP failed...any ideas?

On 7/2/00, 2:04:25 PM, "Michael G." <mikegoe@earthlink.net> wrote=20
regarding Today's CVSUP failed...any ideas?:

> Well, after 3 *smooth* cvsup upgrades over the last few months I have
> hit a snag.  During todays upgrade I'm getting this error:

> <snip>
> cd /usr/src/include/../sys;  install -C -o root -g wheel -m 444
> pccard/*.h  /usr/include/pccard
> cd /usr/src/include/../sys;  install -C -o root -g wheel -m 444
> posix4/*.h  /usr/include/posix4
> cd /usr/src/include/../sys;  install -C -o root -g wheel -m 444
> sys/*.h  /usr/include/sys
> cd /usr/src/include/../sys;  install -C -o root -g wheel -m 444
> vm/*.h  /usr/include/vm
> cd /usr/src/include/../sys;  install -C -o root -g wheel -m 444
> isofs/cd9660/*.h  /usr/include/isofs/cd9660
> cd /usr/src/include/../sys;  install -C -o root -g wheel -m 444
> ufs/ffs/*.h  /usr/include/ufs/ffs
> install: ufs/ffs/softdep.h: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 71

> Stop in /usr/src/include.
> *** Error code 1

> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1

> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1

> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1

> Stop in /usr/src.
> nikki#

> <snip>

> Sure enough the /usr/include/ufs/ffs directory only has ffs_extern.h
> and fs.h in it.  Am I somehow missing some files or did a sym link
> not get generated correctly?  I need to do a reboot but I'm afraid of
> loosing the system without a proper install since part of the 'make
> install' has run.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Michael G.

Dear Michael G.,

the problem has probably been caused by cvsup after the recent=20
softupdates commit; which change has recently been discussed in this=20
forum.

If you track -stable, always read the related letters (or browse the=20
arcives :-)

AFAIR, the workaround consisted in removing the two softupdates links=20
and cvsupping [again]; this operation would fetch the actual=20
softupdates code.

Hmm, I am not sure what is the best strategy at this stage. I don't=20
know what might happen if you first issued a make installworld -k (or=20
-i) ... Probably, you need to fetch the two softupdates files=20
(softdep.h and ffs_softdep.c), and I am afraid you have to repeat the=20
process.

If you like, I could send you both files. I last cvsupped 4.0-STABLE=20
on June, 24; you are running 4-STABLE right ?

By the way, as Giorgios Keramidas pointed out few days ago, you may=20
wish to try a **test** installworld e.g. by specifying =20
DESTDIR=3D/usr/some_test_directory.

HTH just a little bit,
Salvo