Date:      22 Oct 1998 15:51:19 +0100
From:      freebsd-stable-list@salford.ac.uk
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: int overflow in tar

In article <70fko7$af8$1@ananke.salford.ac.uk>,
Ben Stuyts  <ben@stuyts.nl> wrote:
>The gnu tar program included with FreeBSD has a tiny problem with the option
>--totals. This option prints the total number of bytes written, but
>unfortunately the counter used by tar (tot_written in tar.h) is an int. So it
>overflows after 2^31 bytes have been written, like this:
>
>Backing up nemesis:/home3 at Mon Oct 19 13:27:43 CEST 1998
>Total bytes written: -1960021504
>
>df /home3 shows:
>Filesystem   1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
>/dev/sd2s1f    3857506  2307663  1241243    65%    /home3
>
>Should I take this up with the people who maintain gnu tar, or is this
>something we can fix in our source tree?
>
>Could there be more int overflow problems with tar?

I use GNU tar v1.12 for my backups. It's available as a port in,
/usr/ports/sysutils/gtar. Even that overflows under FreeBSD.
However, when compiled under Solaris, it doesn't have the problem.

--
Mark Powell - System Administrator (UNIX) - Clifford Whitworth Building
A.I.S., University of Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.