Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2003 03:09:46 +0100
From:      marius@alchemy.franken.de
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>, current@FreeBSD.org, Mike Makonnen <mtm@identd.net>
Subject:   Re: named & chroot & rcNG & devfs

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 05:09:19PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 marius@alchemy.franken.de wrote:
>
> > /etc/rc.d/named is quite bogus, especially when it comes to running bind
> > chrooted.
>
> Correct. I'm working on an improved method of dealing with this.

great!

> > E.g. /dev/null isn't needed by bind8 at all
>
> Incorrect. /dev/null is needed for bind 8. /dev/null and /dev/random are
> needed for bind 9. Depending on what you're doing, /dev/random is probably
> a good idea for bind 8 as well.

hrm, i thought to have checked properly when i set up the chroots. may
this have changed througout version 8? anyway, they still run happily
without /dev/null.

> > On the other hand shared libraries are needed (or a port that
> > supports linking bind statically...)
>
> cd /usr/ports/net/bind[89]
> make clean
> make CFLAGS+=-static -DPORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND8
> make install

i don't like ports installing to locations of base system binaries,
i.e. /usr/sbin etc., and in the case of bind i don't see a reason
why the port should be installed in place of the base bind only to
get copied over to the chroot. wouldn't it be fine if the bind ports
would support '-DPORT_INSTALL_CHROOT' or something only installing
static binaries directly to the chroot? on the other hand
/etc/rc.d/named probably should also support running chrooted with
the base bind which would either require copying the required libs
or a statically linked base bind...
well, i'm looking forward to your improved version.