Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:47:48 -0700
From:      "Jeff Lush" <jeff@nerdpower.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Hard disk problem

Hello Folks,

I am a new user to Unix and FreeBSD and have a question regarding a hard
drive problem.

I have had FreeBSD 3.1 (minimal install) installed on my PPro 200 clone for
2 weeks and have noticed a hard drive making a random "tink" noise (this is
not a usual sound). Also 2 days ago I got an error:

wd0s1e:wdstart:time out waiting to give command writing fsbn7776 of
7776-7787 (wd0s1e bn608640; cn75tn60sn60)(status 1<err>error2<tr000>)

My questions are, what is this error? does this error relate to the "tink"
noise I hear? Does this mean a hard disk is about to fail or could it be
that FreeBSD is not picking up the BIOS info on the hard disk?

Here is my hardware:

Pentium Pro 200
QDI Motherboard
128 MB RAM
3.2 GB Quantum Fireball H.D.
1.6 GB Western Digitial Caviar H.D.
24x IDE CDROM
10BaseT PCI Ethernet

Any info on this problem would be REALLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Lush