Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 00:44:29 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        kjell@la3sg.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dumb UPS support under FreeBSD?

Kjell (kmidtset@c2i.net) wrote:

> List members!
>
> I am looking for a program that will work with my (Liebert) dumb UPS
> that will perform an orderly shutdown of my computer by power fail, and
> turn it back on again when power returns.
>
> I have spent some time with the bkpupsd program, and found that it
> turns the UPS off at the same time it calls shutdown. Thus shutdown
> does not get time to sync discs etc.. This renders bkpupsd useless for
> machines with both latching (AT) and soft (ATX) power switches.
>
> I have found the mgeupsd and upsd programs in the ports collection.
> Does anyone have any experience with these programs?
>
> Are there any other programs I may use? After some modification?

You might want to try nut. According to their site at
http://www.exploits.org/nut/library they explicitly support Leibert
UPSes, and have a customized driver for them.

I use a different type of UPS (APC SmartUPS), but I did have success
scripting a safe rc.shutdown script (after repeated and risky
experimentation).

The biggest problem with nut is the lack of good on-line documentation.
If you fetch and extract the tarball, there are very good docs included
in the distribution.

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com