Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 18:11:59 -0500
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Win 95 PPP faster than pppd?

Sorry for the cross-post, but, although this is question, I think it'll
need the knowledge base of the hackers list.

Anyhow, today, I ran a Windows 95 client, and a FreeBSD 2.2.2 and 2.2.5
PPPd client through a remote access server that I'm testing. DTE rate
on the 16550s were 115200 in all cases. VJ compression on, bsd
compression off. I FTP'ed a TSB-standard file that has been rated
"very compressible". I ran dozens of iterations on both the Win 95,
and FreeBSD box, and got consistent results.

The FreeBSD boxes managed about 8.26 K/s. The modem DTE port
was saturated at 115200bps +/- 20bps .

The Win95 box managed about 10.5 K/s. Again, the DTE port on the modem
was saturated at 115200bps +/- 20bps.

Anyone care to take a guess at why there is such a difference? I hand-checked
all of the transfer times and file sizes, so both clients are calculating
the throughput properly. I did notice that the FreeBSD boxes are sending
1 1/2 - 2 times the amount of traffic back upstream (appears to be
acks from TCPDUMP on the FTP Server). The only other strangeness I noticed
was that the window size on the Win95 boxes were ~7-8K, compared to the
15-16K on the FreeBSD boxes.

Just to check to see if it was a client problem, I also used fetch to
pull some files. Same results.
		-Brian