Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 07:35:01 -0500
From:      RWinters@QKan.Quintiles.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installation problem

I'm trying to install 3.3-Release from a DOS partition and I keep generating the
same error message.  I get a "Makedev returned non-zero status" and the
installer complains about having some errors and drops me back to the main menu.
The error messages on the second terminal screen are "chown not found" and
"abort trap".  During the step when bin is extracted, I get several messages on
the second terminal something like this (maybe not verbatim):

stand/cpio: No such file or directory
stand/cpio: Invalid header:Bad checksum
stand/cpio: Ignoring XXXXX bytes of junk

So it looks to my inexperienced eye that some of the files in the bin directory
on the DOS partition are corrupt.  Here are some things I've tried to fix the
problem (to no avail):

1.  Delete the C:\freebsd\bin DOS directory and FTP over everything in /bin
again.  I've done this two or three times now (once was deleting the entire
C:\freebsd directory and copying everything over again).
2.  Make absolutely sure that the files were FTP'd in binary mode.  I even tried
FTPing with different clients.  I'm pretty sure everything was binary mode.
3.  Try using the entire disk for FBSD.  I did have RedHat 6 on part of the disk
at first, but I went ahead and deleted it out to use the entire disk for FBSD.
4.  Try changing some BIOS settings like shadowing.
5.  Try installing only the minimal system.
6.  Try installing /bin as a package after the botched up installation.

Nothing has worked for me.  Like I said, I originally thought that the problem
was due to corrupt bin.xx files, but after copying everything over again and
again, I'm not so sure about it.

Here's my system setup:
AMD K6-2 400, Primary IDE master is 13 GB (FAT32 - has Win98 and the C:\freebsd
directory), Primary IDE slave is 1 GB (this is where I'm trying to install
FBSD), Secondary IDE master is 450 MB (FAT16 - used for Win/DOS file backups),
Secondary IDE slave is CD-ROM drive.

Could the problem be due to trying to use a FAT32 partition or trying to copy
from the master to the slave drive?  I wouldn't think so, since some of the
files are extracted just fine.  Basically, I'm completely stumped and it's
starting to drive me nuts.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger