Date:      Mon, 17 Oct 2011 23:53:43 -0400
From:      Patrick Donnelly <batrick@batbytes.com>
To:        "Luchesar V. ILIEV" <luchesar.iliev@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [ZFS] Using SSD with partitions

Since people have asked about more details for my system:

It uses old desktop hardware with 5 1TB WD Caviar Blues in a raidz
configuration with 1 of those drives being a hot spare (4 1TB drives
in the raidz). The system currently has 2 GB of RAM IIRC.

I've been using NFS to access the data on my home network which has
worked pretty well. Writing to NFS over my VPN from across the country
is really bad which is one of the reasons I wanted to use a SSD for a
ZIL. read/write performance overall tends to be bad though so I don't
really know how much it will help. After fiddling around with NFS
settings for a long time I soon gave up and instead use SSH when
outside a LAN. That's another matter though and off-topic. :)

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Luchesar V. ILIEV
<luchesar.iliev@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. If you can afford more RAM, it's (much) better for ZFS than L2ARC.

I think I may end up doing this as well. RAM seems to have gotten
extraordinarily large and cheap in the last few years.

> 5. Check the output of "zpool upgrade". If your zpool version is
> anything below 19 (likely 14 or 15), I'd strongly recommend that you
> avoid setting up a separate ZIL. Pools before v19 fail critically when
> the ZIL is removed or is corrupted, which means you lose them for good.
> You might mitigate the risk with a mirrored ZIL, but it's still likely
> not worth it in your case.

Yes, I plan to upgrade the pool to v28 and FreeBSD when I get the SSD.
Speaking of which, should there be any problems with installing the
SSD, putting FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE (when it comes out) on it, and then
trying to import the pool?

> Again, I'm no expert in those things, so take all my comments with a
> grain of salt. Good luck!

Thank you for your advice!

--
- Patrick Donnelly