Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:12:46 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        xavian anderson macpherson <professional3d@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation woes

Julian, you want to see:
http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/pxe/
for jumpstart/kickstart tips/tricks.

* xavian anderson macpherson <professional3d@home.com> [001018 15:27] wrote:
> hey julian,  (from the CNET help.com freebsd postings)
>
> i too had alot of difficulty installing freebsd.  the reason i
> found to be, was my soundblaster 16 scsi card.  i need the driver
> for this card if one exists (and one also for windows NT [the scsi
> works but not the sound] as you'll read below).  my cd is controlled
> by this card, as is the 540MB quantum drive which i used exclusively
> for swap space in linux.  it seems (check the handbook if you have
> the power-pak) that freebsd doesn't handle multifunction cards.
> something that i find very ludicrous, considering it's claim to be
> the ultimate internet OS.  anyway, i finally got around this by
> accident.

You're incorrect, FreeBSD can handle these types of cards, you just need
to know what IO port/irq they use.  The SB16+scsi uses the 'aic' driver,
if you were determined enough to get it working you would have went to
the creative (makers of SB) website and got the card's jumper layout
to figure it out.

However, I just wanted to warn you that the scsi chipset on your card
is hunk of junk and will kill performance if you use it.

> initially i thought that i would install my apps from cd using
> the boot disks, and then go back and resolve the conflicts with
> the irq's for my ethernet card (there was a conflict between it
> and something that i thought was the driver that would control the
> pci-bus.  that driver turns out to be the one for the pcmcia bus
> which i don't have.  the only thing that differentiates them is a
> single `c';pci0 vs. pcic0.  so i eliminated the pcic0.)  it turns
> out that i had to install directly from the web.  the installation
> went smoothly once i got past all the other trouble.

Good to hear

> so my answer is, if you have access to the internet, all you need
> to do is make the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp (DONT USE THE 5.0-CURRENT
> FLOPPY IMAGES.  it seems that the sites don't support the installation
> of those images.)  go through the motions of setting up your slices
> and the filesystems mounted to them.  once that it done, select
> your ports and/or sources and start the downloads.  i have a
> 10Mbit/sec cable modem.  and i found that ftp2 for the us is the
> fastest.  none of the others would take advantage of my high download
> speed.  although, i did have repeated errors with that site when
> i tried to reinstall XFREE86.  that software may simply not have
> been available at the time i tried.

Yes, don't use 5.0 unless you know exactly what you're getting yourself
into.

> i have not run freebsd since i installed it (because of XFREE86
> not working after i installed version-4.0 after already having
> version-3.3.36.  that's why i tried to reinstall XFREE86)  i went
> out and brought Windows NT; because i realize that any operating
> system that doesn't even come with it's own boot floppies in the
> packaging, thereby requiring you to have another operating system
> to make copies of it's boot floppies, doesn't have the right to be
> treated as anything other than an application of the system you
> used to make the the floppies!  i am impressed with the fact that
> NT will allow me to run other OS's concurrently.  let freebsd do
> that, and then those folks can talk about superiority.  they can't
> even make their own floppies!  if you know how to boot freebsd
> inside of NT, i would appreciate hearing from you.  also i need to
> know how to read the data on my freebsd slice(s) from windows NT.
>
> GOOD LUCK!  tell me how it works.

I think you still have a lot left to learn, while I do agree that it
would be nice to see the powerpack come with floppy disks, the truth
is that:

1) most systems nowadays boot from cdrom

2) you can make FreeBSD boot floppies from BOTH FreeBSD and
Windows/DOS, just because you don't have an existing FreeBSD machine
doesn't mean everyone needs windows to make the disks.

3) FreeBSD has it's own bootloader and _two_ programs for booting
from different disks, you just were unable to find them or figure
out how to use them. :(

With that said I think it's not very helpful for you to answer
other's questions about FreeBSD until you have a greater grasp on
the system yourself.  Your negative answers because of lack of
experiance don't help anyone.

Best of luck,