Date:      Wed, 11 May 2016 11:27:20 -0700
From:      "K. Macy" <kmacy@freebsd.org>
To:        Chris H <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Questions on iflib

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 7:56 AM, Chris H <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2016 10:25:24 -0700 hiren panchasara
> <hiren@strugglingcoder.info> wrote
>
>> + Kip, Scott.
>>
>> On 05/10/16 at 04:46P, David Somayajulu wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> > I have a couple of questions on iflib :
>> >
>> > 1.       Are there plans to incorporate iflib into CURRENT. If yes, will it
>> > make it into FreeBSD11 release ?
>>
>> Yes. The library itself (without any drivers) is being prepared for
>> committing to CURRENT.
> This is intended to be optional. Right?

The name Iflib is short for iflnet library. A driver has to be
programmed to it. It will always be possible to program directly to
ifnet, but henceforth it will be frowned upon when not absolutely
necessary. As iflib will ultimately make the driver more performant
and more maintainable. As a counterexample, the Chelsio driver has to
manage multiple ports on a single device and handle synchronization
with upper level protocols. It's also extremely well optimized
already. I don't know of any other network driver that can justify
opting out for one of those reasons, much less both.

-M