Date:      15 Aug 1998 21:22:59 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        Brian Tao <taob@risc.org>
Cc:        FREEBSD-CHAT <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: AMD K6-3D "make buildworld"

Brian Tao <taob@risc.org> writes:
> [the following machine makes world in 54 minutes]
>     /etc/make.conf has "CFLAGS=-O -pipe", built from a clean /usr/obj,
> 8MB mfs on /var/tmp, /usr/src and /usr/obj mounted async,noatime on a
> Seagate Medalist Pro 7200-rpm 9.1GB UDMA drive, 256MB RAM installed.
> 3.0-current from late May.  AMD K6-3D running at 3x100-MHz on an AOpen
> AX59Pro motherboard with 1MB L2 cache.

You call that fast? fixus-ipv6.ifi.uio.no (Dell OptiPlex, single-CPU
PII-233 MHz with 128 MB RAM and a 4 GB Maxtor IDE disk half of which
is used by FreeBSD) builds world in 56 minutes, without soft updates
(but with /usr/src and /usr/obj on separate file systems mounted
async). I kinda thought you'd beat me by more than two minutes...

Bigger isn't necessarily better.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no