Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 13:18:36 +0100
From:      "Morten Seeberg" <ml@seeberg.dk>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   is -STABLE really stable?

(When I write STABLE im referring to the STABLE branc of FBSD, when writing
stable i mean running stable).

From what I understand about STABLE, itīs a branch of RELEASE, but with
bugfixes, newly added features, which has been tested in CURRENT?

But from my experience, STABLE is often is more unstable than RELEASEs, can
this be true? Is it due to the changes which are made on a day-to-day basis
on STABLE??

One of my friends said, that the best way to know which STABLE version is
truly stable was to follow the stable@freebsd.org mailinglist and watch for
which STABLE version there werenīt any problems with.
This is very time consuming, so I was wondering, whether there is a way you
could let us know, when there is a "good"/"better" STABLE out?

Or should I just look at the snapshots, and then whenever there are a larger
number of days between 2 snapshots => a stable one, fx:
3.3-19991103-STABLE
3.3-19991104-STABLE
3.3-19991109-STABLE
3.3-19991110-STABLE

There is 5 days between 1104 and 1109 and only 1 day between 1109 and 1110,
does this mean that 1109 is more stable than 1110?