Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 11:41:59 -0700
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
To:        Derek Jewett <djewett@snowcrest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP latency....

> From: Derek Jewett <djewett@snowcrest.net>
> Date: 1999-07-09 11:30:38 -0700
> To: freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: FTP latency....
>
> Using 3.1-R on a typical ethernet network.... Running ftpd under
inetd (the
> super server).. Problem: When users hit the box there is a delay
at the ftp connect
> screen.. The delay is up to one minute then they get User: prompt
and all works
> great... Any idea what is causing the delay? I had the same
problem with another
> box running 3.0-R.. Maybe I should just run ftpd as a dedicated
process, and not
> through inetd..?

That kind of delay is usually indicative of a "reverse name lookup",
which the server does to try and validate the incoming connection.
It usually means that your client has an unregistered IP address
(e.g., a MacIP- or DHCP-assigned address, with no associated host
name).

Of course, it could be something completely different :-}.  The only
way to be sure is try to debug the server.  One way to do this is
with a dedicated server - get a debug version that doesn't fork on
accept, and see where the time goes.

Regards,

Justin

--