Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:30:21 -0400
From:      "G. Douglas Davidson" <douglas@city-net.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lockups on 4.1.1-STABLE after upgrade from 3.4

On Oct 16, 11:48am, Jasper O'Malley wrote:
> Subject: Re: Lockups on 4.1.1-STABLE after upgrade from 3.4
>
> I backed up to 4.1-RELEASE with IP Filter 3.4.11, and the lockups
> persist. I'm beginning to suspect hardware at this point, which gets
> stressed to the point of failure around 8:30 AM and 3:00 PM every day. I'm
> still skeptical, however, since the machine ran perfectly for months on
> 3.4-STABLE and started having problems the day I upgraded to 4.1-STABLE.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing mysterious lockups with 4.1 on Compaq
> hardware?

I got two lockups recently (October 13th).  The cvsup date was October 6th.  I
had recently added a mysql server to the box (October 12th).  Prior to this
everything has been fine.  After getting the two lockups (they happened one
right after the other) things seem to be ok.  I did nuke the mysql process to
try to get things as close to before as possible.  I had cvsuped this box only
a couple weeks ago and have never had a problem with it in the past.

Not sure if the MySQL was tickling something, or if it is something else.  The
machine is a mail server and fairly busy (low CPU load and a good bit of i/o),
although nothing like our Diablo news server running Cleanfeed.  The machines
are exactly the same with the exeception of their cvsup date and maybe some
kernel options.  The news server is cvsuped to Sept 21.  Both boxes are dual
PIII Tyan's with Mylex RAID controllers.

Not sure if this helps, but I came looking for any postings of "Lockups" and I
noticed yours.  Maybe this data will be helpful.

--
-----
G Douglas Davidson                      | CityNet, Inc.