Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:07:26 +0100
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD box/ADSL link config

--=-eY6AagojKPDFPpLFHwij

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 22:00 +0200, Erik Norgaard wrote:
> Hi:
>=20
> I am a bit confused as to what exactly I am trying to do - or that is=20
> how the protocols layers and stuff. My current setup is like this:
>=20
>              10.0.0/24          192.168.0/24      static IP
> Wireless ))--- AP --- FreeBSD -------------- DSL ------------- Internet
>                        many-1                 1-1
>                         NAT                   NAT
>=20
> I'd like to have the 192.168.0/24 disappear from the network topology,=20
> and have the routable static ip right on my FreeBSD box. The DSL box is=20
> configured with PPPoE:
..
>=20
> The DSL router in question is a Thomson Speedtouch 546v6.
>=20
> Any hints, howtos or other on how to do this?
>=20
> Thanks, Erik
>=20

My Thomson Speedtouch (716v5WL) allows it to be set up as an ethernet
bridge, effectively turning into a fancy modem.

Eg, my setup is like this:

	     172.30.0.0/16	   Public IP		  Peer IP
LAN switch/AP ----------- FreeBSD Router------- DSL ST -------- Peer
	=09
Effectively, the speedtouch just hands everything off to the bsd router,
which in turn knows nothing about ADSL or PPP, and just uses the
standard em(4) network driver.

None of this stuff was configurable through the speedtouch's web
interface, but is fairly straightforward once you read the 300 page
manual, the 200 page CLI manual and dissect the configuration templates
that tell the box how to operate.=20

--=-eY6AagojKPDFPpLFHwij

--=-eY6AagojKPDFPpLFHwij--