Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 1995 00:57:14 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange entries in /usr/src/Makefile

Rod, it doesn't seem like we are going to reach any sort of agreement,
but here it goes another one....

 * If you think /usr/src/Makefile is complicated, go read release/Makefile
 * for some enjoyment...

The release tree is not for general consumption. ;)

 * Or how about this for a comparitive, the length of bsd.port.mk is
 * almost as long as the sum of all the other .mk files combined :-)

I know, and believe me, I'm going to clean this thing up.  It's long
because there is lots of code duplication, because I didn't know how
to use macros. :p

 * Yes, it did, here is some of the rcs log that effected the change:

Thanks.  Is there somewhere I can check the old commit logs?

 * No, that is not ``an argument for the sake of an argument''.  It is
 * a statement of reality.  Your point that it is in /usr/share means that
 * the ports mechanism has contaiminted a standard part of the system,
 * only makeing the case stronger that the ideal can not be achived.

But that doesn't mean we should try to keep them separated as much as
possible.

 * Because ``make world'' is shorter, and the actual sequence of events
 * will be slightly different for you 2 sets of commands.  If you really
 * want to know, go dig it out of the mail archive.  Ports is a subsidiary

Where can I find the old mail archives?

 * > Well, the stuff about the obj links and stuff are useless.  We don't
 * > have them in the ports tree (and I don't think we ever had).
 *
 * Then again, this is ports changing without propery keeping src in sync
 * with the changes in the paradigm.

This only proves my point, nobody in the ports group didn't even think
about /usr/src/Makefile (I didn't even know ports is mentioned here!)
when this change occurred.

I'm just trying to keep the inter-depencies of the two trees to a
minimum.

 * Because this point was argued 2 years ago, and you seem to be the
 * only one mounting a case to change it (and I the only one in it's
 * defense because I was there when it was done and know it took a lot
 * of convincing to get it added, but it was a _group_ decission to
 * do it.)  Your just too late!!!

Well, we got replies from two others, Jordan's "I prefer it nuked" and
Julian's "nuke it if you want".  And we can still delete it with a
group decision.

Satoshi