Date:      Sat, 16 Jul 2005 20:16:11 +0000
From:      Ben Kaduk <minimarmot@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel build procedure for 5.4->6.0Beta

List -- I am in the process of upgrading via source build from
5.4-Release to 6.0Beta, and I am curious about a discrepancy in the
kernel build procedure.  The handbook
has as a normal build procedure for a regular update to "make
buildkernel; make installkernel", whereas UPDATING has just "make
kernel".  UPDATING, of course, has precedence, as stated in the
handbook, but I am curious what (if any) difference
there is in the two procedures, and why different procedures are
preferred for these (seemingly similar) situations.
Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

Ben Kaduk