Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 00:57:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Evgeny Roubinchtein <eroubinc@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Roger M." <rogermartucc@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Roger M. wrote:

>When I quit X-Windows the following error message appears on the screen:
>"... xterm: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on Xserver
>:0.0 ".

[... snip ..]

>By the other hand, when I disabled the 'xterm' window (putting '#' at
>the beggining of  'xterm' line), it disappeared.

Looks like you answered your own question: the xterm is complaining
because you terminate it rather harshly.  You would probably see something
similar if you killed an xterm with xkill, or just kill its PID. That's
all that is going on: no problem.  (I assume you star X with "startx"): it
is usually the case that in your .xinitrc (or system-wide xinitrc) all but
one application are started "in the background" (that's what the "&" at
the end of the line are for), but one program is started in the
foreground -- no "&" on its line.  Most people make it their window
manager, but it doesn't have to be: it could be an xterm, a clock, your CD
player -- whatever.  When you exit that foreground application, xinit will
kill your X server.  The programs that depend on it will have naturally
lost connection to the X server, and will die. Since it's a rather harsh
way to kill X clients, many will complain.   It doesn't indicate that
there is a problem, though.

--
Evgeny Roubinchtein, eroubinc@u.washington.edu
It is easier to write an incorrect program than understand a correct one.