Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2018 07:25:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: xstr, mkstr

> --------
> In message <31b491de-ac5e-ca0f-5f84-96cfa7c02699@FreeBSD.org>, Bryan Drewery wr
> ites:
>
> >On the otherhand I don't see the point in removing something that isn't
> >harming anything, is not worth talking about in terms of size or build
> >time, and is unlikely to need maintenance.
>
> Source code is a liability, it is not an investment.

Source code is both a liability and an investment, sometimes even
a very large investment of time or money or both.

> If the code is useless and not part of a published API, then it should
> be removed.

Useless is another subjective term, what you find useless I may find
very useful.  API is also probably a poor use of that term here,
none of these have "API", not even your cut(1) or awk(1) below.

> >This argument of "not useful" is a bit subjective. Is cut useful when we
> >have awk? I won't go on.
>
> cut(1) & awk(1) are both part of the published API, so that comparison gets
> you nowhere.

I'll note that xstr is documented in PSD/make, and has a man page,
making it have an API as much as cut(1) or awk(1).

But, as I said early, lets just shelf all this "lets remove this or
that cause of foo" until package base is done, and then a group of
people should create a documented critiria list of what should or
should not be in the base system, and do a tree wide sweep rather
than have 100+ threads over the next 5 years about this or that.