Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 2009 01:20:12 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xircom PCMCIA modem not being detected

A somewhat old issue that we ran into when we wanted to move some old
Soekris based devices off RELENG_4 to something a little more upto
date.  The device is not detected with a stock RELENG_6 or RELENG_7
kernel.  Searching around, I found an explanation in
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-mobile/2004-May/003813.html
and the patch
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/attachments/20040517/3896d106/xircom_2.obj

which I hand applied to RELENG_7 since its a bit out of date.  The
modem is now detected, but when loading if_xe, the box locks.  I am
only interested in using the modem portion of it, so it doesnt matter
the network part does not work.

Is there a better way to get the modem working than using the above patch ?

         ---Mike

Mike Tancsa,                                      tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications,                            mike@sentex.net
Providing Internet since 1994                    www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada                         www.sentex.net/mike