Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 22:42:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printer recommendation

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, John Fieber wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > but it's speedy enough at least for me, and the print quality, well,
> > you'll have to look very closely at your black and white copies to tell
> > the difference with your current printer.  Magnifying glass-close.
>
> How sensitive is it to paper quality?  I know my 1990 vintage
> DeskJet output looks decent on premium quality paper, but pretty
> poor on anything else.  This seems to be one area where lasers
> are more flexible.

I use laser paper.  They tried to sell me paper when I bought my printer,
but I had bought a case a month before my old laser died, so I use that.
On laser paper, it depends a little on just how much ink is deposited.
Text, no sweat at all.  I've printed maybe 20 graphics so far; just one
had so much color, it saturated the paper.  All the others were superior.
That one was while I was experimenting with the 24 bit capability of the
printer, I'm not sure.

> Also, after about 6 years, the paper feed mechanism becomes
> notably unreliable.  This is something to keep in mind since the
> paper handling mechanism is essentially the same on most every
> member of the deskjet family I've seen.  Presumably this is
> something that can be repaired with replacement parts, but I've
> never investigated.

Let you know in 6 years :-)

> -john

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |