Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 23:43:17 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@bayouhome.net>
Cc:        Chris Smith <chris.smith@raytheon.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP! - Clearing screen on logout

Glenn Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 01:49:28AM -0700, Chris Smith wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can anyone tell me _explicitly_ how to clear the screen when a user
> > logs out (or when a getty starts)?  I know it's in the gettytab man
> > page, but I cant get it to work.  I've probably incorrectly played
> > with the cl option?!?
>
> Put a "\f" after the "im=" for the default entry in /etc/gettytab. So it
> would look like this:
>
> default:\
>         :cb:ce:ck:lc:fd#1000:im=\f\r\n%s/%m (%h) (%t)\r\n\r\n:sp#1200:
>
> The \f does a form feed.

	FWIW, that's fine if all you want to do is clear what's visible on the
screen. This technique does not clear the scrollback buffer. There was a
thread about how to do that a while back... unfortunately I don't
remember what the most efficient way to do it was. I think that adding a
lot of \f's would probably do it, but I seem to recall someone coming up
with a more elegant solution....

HTH,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire