Date:      Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:56:22 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: headless server...

Przemys?aw Nowaczyk <p_nowaczyk@o2.pl> wrote:
 > I'm trying to make a headless server of my old Celeron 366 box and I've
 > got some problems with it. I know that in BIOS the Halt On option (Award
 >   Bios) needs to be set to No Errors,

It should be sufficient to set that option to "All, except
keyboard".

 > but still without the monitor the
 > box doesn't start (it doesn't give the "short beep"). The keyboard and
 > mouse are connected. The mainboard is Acorp 6LX87 and connected to an AT
 > Power supply. The video card is nVidia Riva TNT 16MB.
 > any sugestions..?

There are several things to try.

1.  If you connect a monitor, does it boot?  (Maybe the
    problem is somewhere else.)
2.  What if you only connect a monitor plug or cable, but
    no actual monitor?
3.  What if you remove the graphics card?
4.  Some BIOS setups have an option to select the type of
    graphics card (VGA, CGA, monochrome).  If your BIOS
    supports it, set that option to "none".

Best regards
   Oliver