Date:      14 Feb 1999 20:55:47 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@teaser.fr>, John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpt0

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com> writes:
> Actually, subsequent discussions with Dag-Erling have sort of shown
> this to have been rather too ambitious of me and now I've major second
> thoughts. :(

I *can* do it if you want. It's pretty straightforward, it's just that
there are a lot of things to do, and the short deadline means I'll
have to handle pc98 and src/UPDATING myself rather than rely on Kato
and Warner to do it themselves. It'll take me an hour or two to go
through every file that needs to be changed, and two or three hours
more to test things and fix loose ends.

The alternative is to just update GENERIC, LINT et al to use ppbus
instead of the old lpt driver, and throw in a warning in the probe
messages in src/sys/i386/lpt.c telling people to move to ppbus. It
should be pretty safe.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no