Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 2002 02:17:50 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> > Netscape 6.x.
> >
> > Without the Netscape connection, it fails to support Java.
>
> Where did you get that idea?

The Mozilla website.

> > But it's binary.  And it's supported.  And it's not explicitly
> > labelled as "for testing purposes only!" on the download lead-in
> > page.
>
> What exactly does "supported" mean?  When it crashes, do they come and
> hold your hand?

Yes, for a fee.

> You'll probably get better help with mozilla if you
> have problems with it.

Probably.  But it's irrelevent in the context of an argument
against the contents of the "Anti-UNIX" web site.

Again... UNIX wonk != Open Source Software wonk.

> You can use Netscape 6.2.2 on available platforms, it's gotten good
> reviews.  Personally I'll stick with mozilla.  Version 1.0 will be out
> pretty soon, and then the "testing purposes only" guff will be gone,
> for those who care.

That would be "many people in the commercial sector".  Personally,
I really look forward to this day, since a vendor can basically
dictate the use of any configuration associated software for a
major product... if what they dictate is supported.

-- Terry