Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 2003 10:49:32 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail + Cyrus + Procmail(?) + SpamAssassin

On 04/02/03 09:27 AM, Kirk Strauser sat at the `puter and typed:
> At 2003-04-02T08:45:08Z, Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net> writes:
>
> > The -F0 option was an option that made spamassassin not alter the headers,
> > as it would confuse some programs. It's not needed since 2.44
> > iirc.
>
> Gotcha.
>
> > Because spamassassin is being ran as user cyrus, you need to tell it where
> > to search for user_prefs.
>
> I covered that at:
>
>     http://subwiki.honeypot.net/cgi-bin/view/Freebsd/SpamAssassinAndCyrus
>
> > http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/ is a good starter, specially the provided
> > samples. Have a look at them and you'll figure out most of the stuff.
>
> That's just what I needed.  Thanks!  I didn't realize until yesterday that
> the lack of a common filtering method was pretty much the sole component
> that keeps me from switching email clients at will.  If I can get the
> server-side filtering to the point I like it, I should be able to use any
> number of clients (depending on whether I'm at a local X terminal, SSH'ing
> in remotely, etc.) without any significant difference in functionality.
> That's pretty slick.
>
> > Btw, I've seen you finally solved it. I'd like to add your howto document
> > to ezunix.org's site, mind if I do (giving credit, of course)
>
> Feel free.  Of course, be advised that the document is on a Wiki server, and
> therefore subject to change (even by people other than me) at any time.
> --
> Kirk Strauser
> In Googlis non est, ergo non est.

I hate to be a johnny-come-lately in a discussion like this, but I'm
running Sendmail->procmail->SA->Cyrus Imapd.  I'm sorry I missed the
beginning of this thread, I might have been able to help with some of
the pitfalls I had to overcome.

One of my more difficult issues was getting SA to run as the
recipient - I know Cyrus doesn't require a login account to be
associated with an IMAP account, but I only have a few users (like 3).
I also know that might not be ideal for your purposes.

Anyway, I had a little trouble at first, but I've got it working quite
nicely now.  Each user has his/her own SA prefs, bayes database,
procmail recipes, etc.  Even the cyrus deliver tool runs as the user,
which is probably not desireable, but the whole key is in the
sendmail.mc file.  If I understand it all correctly, if you change one
flag there, the whole thing goes back to being global in scale, and
procmail and cyrus deliver run as the user sendmail runs as.

The vast majority of this is based directly on the
subwiki.honeypot.net page above, but the difference is that the Cyrus
flags are left out of sendmail.mc, which is set up to use procmail as
an LDA.

If anyone thinks this might be useful, I'll dig the particulars back
up and present them for general use.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org