Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 10:00:07 -0700
From:      "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <bmcgover@cisco.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE:  X Windows question

On 9 Jul 2002, at 10:34, Brian J. McGovern wrote:

>  > I have a FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE box, with which I'd like to tinker with
>  > X. However, I don't want to use the box itself for viewing, but a
>  > Windows X Server (Cygwin with XFree86).
>  >
>  > Do I have to install the entire XFree system, or can I just install
>  > an X window manager and be done with it? I'm not sure how to get
>  > started. If I just wanted to use the FreeBSD box itself for display
>  > as well as running programs, this would be easy.
>  >
>  > Thanks for any assistance,
>  >
>  > Corey Snow
>
> On the FreeBSD side, it should be as easy as setting DISPLAY to the Windows
> box, and then running the application.
>
> On the windows side, you may need some extra effort to set up authentication
> and the like. I think, overall, it took me about 40 seconds to get things
> working, but I have a decade of experience using X, and know what all the
> errors mean.

I should have been more clear- I can accomplish this much, or I did
after some experimentation. I'm familiar with this much about X and
have used it in several other environments.

In this case, however, I'd like to have my FreeBSD box not run the X
server at all, but only run the X clients and the window manager,
using my Cygwin install as an X server, which I have working already.
I'd like to use XDMCP to access the FreeBSD machine, get a login
prompt and start using a Gnome desktop (or maybe KDE, I don't know
which one I prefer).

Thanks for your answer,

Corey Snow